Saturday 16 February 2013

Alone on V-Day...Never!

Codi and me!


Like most Valentine's Day, I spent this one single...yet not alone. It got me thinking on the good and bad ones I've had...

 When V-Day sucks...

The years where my pain was undiagnosed were the worst for all the failed relationships. I remember  one year, getting dumped just before V-Day and then feeling bitter about the whole holiday. I didn't want to see a single heart shaped object, hear couples brag about how their BF or GF was the most romantic person in the world on V-Day and I felt disgusted seeing PDAs (public displays of affection) wherever I went.


When it's just hurtful...

When I was growing up, we moved a lot and changed schools every couple years. I wound up being the new kid all the time and it got harder and harder to make friends. I rarely got valentines in those "crafty little v-day boxes" we had to make. One year, some kids sent me some pretty mean valentines that said "nobody likes you". I cried...a little...then I got even and told my teacher and they got punished and had to apologise to me.

When it's warm and fuzzy...

For 13 years, I had my regular little furry valentine named Codi (pictured licking his nose). This silly spirited Shetland Sheepdog was my best lil' bud and he was always around for V-Day. I would just ask him "Wanna be my Valentine?", he'd respond with a wagging tail and lots of kisses and then he got to pig out on his favourite cookies while I indulged on chocolates. Such simple moments like that one meant the world. Codi passed a few years ago, yet he forever remains close to my heart.

When it just simply rocks...

 I spent this year's V-Day with my pain flaring like crazy along with an insane work day where I had to deal with an annoying weirdo client who just wouldn't leave. We had a huge chocolate cake for a colleague's birthday that was delicious. A friend at work, who is also single, asked me if I made plans for V-day, I told her that I never really make any plans on V-Day, mostly cause I still secretly hate the holiday. Besides I'm usually too tired from my workday to make any big evening plans. 

I asked her what her plans were and she said: "It's simple, I'll hug my dog and my cat and tell them I love them. I'll also treat myself to a yummy dinner. You gotta remind yourself that you love who you are no matter what and treating yourself is important too." My Zen Genius friend had a good point there...you have to love who you are, no matter what else is going on in your life.

How did V-Day 2013 finish?

Picked up a new laptop table that I've been wanting for a while and I got some takeout chinese food from my favourite place (with the big awesome Panda logo). Had dinner with my best bro and skyped with my mom, who also had chinese food with dad at home. 



I can't say the pain wasn't there, it was... yet I chose to make the most of my day and best of all, I learned that it's important to love who you are no matter what.

Oh, and chinese food rocks like the fuzzy bamboo eating motherfucker on the logo!
 

­~Klau






   

No comments:

Post a Comment